Sunday, March 13, 2005

One week at home

This is the first post in a week. Apologies to those who have been checking for more frequent updates. I'm hoping to post an update about once a week in future, probably at weekends.

As I'm sure you can imagine, we've all been fully occupied this week with adjusting to life as a family in our own home. The first few nights were rough on Stacy and me as Chloë had difficulty sleeping through the night. Ten timezones of jetlag was probably the main cause, not to mention a new house, new smells, new bed and a whole new country. No matter how many times I sit Chloë down and explain to her how the earth rotates on its axis, she refuses to grasp the concept that she should be asleep when she wants to be up and vice versa. We have now had three good nights in a row, so I think she has finally adjusted.

We took Chloë to the pediatrician for her initial examination on Monday. Everything seems to be OK so far. She tolerated the drawing of blood surprisingly well. The highlight of our week has been collecting four separate stool samples in little plastic jars in order to check for parasites.

Gomer The Dog's life has changed forever. I think he is still in shock. He is excited to have a new little person in his life, and seems to understand that she needs to be treated gently. Chloë is slowly warming up to him, although her initial reaction was fear. She is only about 1/3 his size, so I imagine it's a bit like an adult sharing space with a fully grown 600 pound bear of unknown temperament.

I'm sure you all want to see some more pictures, so here they are. Please keep the comments coming. It's the only way I know anyone is reading the blog.

Happy in her bib, because food can't be far away. Posted by Hello


Cheerios continue to be a hit. Posted by Hello


The three of us have a diverse set of passports. Chloë is now an American citizen, but for our homeward journey she travelled on her Chinese passport. She will get an American passport soon. Posted by Hello


Gravity continues to be a fascination. Posted by Hello


Our friends were kind enough to welcome us home with banners, signs... Posted by Hello


... and balloons, which are great fun to play with. Posted by Hello


Comments:
Hi John & Stacy,
I stumbled upon your blog a few days a Chole's gotcha! day and it has been an absolute delight to share in your journey. I am 33, live in Seattle - I enjoy your prose and photos and look forward to seeing what happens next. Congratulations!
~Jenn
p.s. my blog is mostly photos, but feel free to check it out: www.jenngemini.blogspot.com
 
HI, I'VE BEEN READING BUT NOT COMMENTING.
NOW I'VE LEARNED HOW TO DO THIS. THE STORY AND PICTURES ARE WONDERFUL. PLEASE!!!!!! CONTACT US WHEN YOU COME TO MARION - IF ONLY FOR A FIVE MINUTE VISIT. LET'S HAVE A PICTURE OF CHLOE AND GOMER THE DOG.

BILL AND CAROL B
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?